Tuesday, March 30, 2010

House on Mango Street

Though this book had many themes and ideas to share to the reader, I found it a boring read and hard to keep focus on trying to get to the end of the book. I would consider using this book in my classroom to discuss the different themes found in it. But, I think that I would make the judgement whether to keep using the book or not after listening to my students thoughts on the book. If the students like to book and think that it was an easy read, then I would decide to keep it in the classroom. But, if students should have found it boring and hard to make it through to the end of the book, then I would consider trying to find another book that would be more suitable for my students to like and be able to read. I get the importance of one finding their own culture, I got no problem with that. As for me, I don't really care or consider culture and never really found it important, my own culture too (whatever that may be). To me, a lot of people make a big deal about their culture when I don't really care about it. Good, you care about your own culture, what does it have to do with me and why do I care what culture you want to be a part of? It's your own choice to pick what culture you want to be a part of, not me. So, why make a big deal what culture you are in front of me, because to me, you are the same as me. Living, breathing, you bleed and you die; you're human and that is all I could really care about.

No comments:

Post a Comment