Thursday, March 25, 2010

Preparing Culturally Responsive Teachers

I'm a history major and I like world history because that subject teaches me the history of different countries, their culture, religion, lifestyles, and etc. So, of course I'm all for teaching students different cultures that are in the world. But, thats a history course, I don't really see how reading literature books helps students better understand different cultures. That can go for both history and an english course. There are some students that are willing to learn about and understand different cultures, but there are some students that just really care about other cultures than their own. I don't really believe in the fact that justreading cultural literature books helps change people's views on different cultures because that doesn't happen to most people. It's like religion, you can;t always change everybodies opinions on different cultures or how they think. As for the article in which it tries to get us to think that we need to expose them to different cultural contexts and etc., take a world history class, because thats what its used for. I can't really see how bringing in cultural books into English helps because in all my past English classes, it was about how to wrtie a paper, the do's and don'ts on writing papers, how to fix them, and how to read. I don't think you're going to get much students to come to understand different cultures in a English class because most students just read the book and tell you how it ended and what theme the book explored. If you want students to better understand cultural context, have the students take a Cultural studies course, or world history course.

No comments:

Post a Comment